Problems with my skin began very early in my adolescence and continued up until very recently, when, at 22, I had exhausted all of my options and thought it would be best to seek professional advice from a dermatologist.
Suffering with moderate to severe acne for almost 7 years, I tried all types and kinds of products that you could possibly imagine – from the chemically aggressive to natural botanicals, as well as high-street/ premium skincare brands. Some made a difference, most showed no improvement and others, to my dismay, only aggravated my skin.
In my self- assigned mission to permanently rid myself from acne, I came across a couple of treatments that were able to make a significant difference to my ever temperamental skin. Over time I have learned that there is no need to bank on expensive treatments and creams, there are natural ingredients that work just as effectively, if not better!
This is an oldie but a goodie! I cannot for the life of me raise the importance of water for a healthy and clear complexion – it is a head to toe body salve.
I encourage you to drink no less than 2 Litres of water per day (or eight glasses of water), and your body will thank you by rewarding you with supple, clear and plump skin.
Helps flush toxins from the body, improves skin hydration levels, helps restore the protective skin barrier function, rejuvenates and replenishes skin, helps skin tolerate environmental aggressors.
– If I’m at home all day, I always take a pint glass of water (yes, a pint glass!) with me wherever I go around the house. By doing this, there is no need to keep a constant track of my water intake as I am confident that I am averaging around 8-10 glasses on a daily basis. The only downfall is that wherever I go, a trail of empty glasses follow!
– If you are still struggling to remember to drink water on a regular basis, perhaps scheduling a phone reminder every 1-2 hours would be the most effective solution to help track the volume of water that you’re consuming.
DIY Face mask for Acne-Prone Skin
This homemade face mask does my skin absolute wonders! It harnesses the benefits of natural Greek yoghurt, cinnamon and oats, to help combat irritation, redness, pigmentation and excess sebum production. Crystal clear skin? Um, yes please!
Cinnamon – Reduces sebum production and shrinks oil glands, helping to reduce the formation of both whiteheads and blackheads. Anti – bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties reduce acne inflammation. Dries active pimples, relieves eczema, exfoliates dead skin cells and antiseptic properties help to heal wounds.
Natural Greek Yoghurt – Packed with anti – inflammatory, anti- bacterial and anti- irritant properties. The lactic acid acts as a natural exfoliant, with active enzymes that help to unblock congested pores while also acting as a brightening agent to improve uneven skin tone and hyper-pigmentation, for a more radiant complexion.
Oats – Soaks up oil, dirt and impurities which are the underlying cause of congested pores and acne. Packed with healing and moisturising properties that help nourish, calm and sooth irritated skin.
Recipe to make your own spa- worthy face mask (for 1 or 2 uses):
Combine a table spoon of oats with a dollop of natural Greek yoghurt and two tea spoons of cinnamon powder. Mix all the ingredients well to form a paste of a creamy consistency, and use a clean foundation brush to apply all over the face. Now sit back, relax and let the mask work its magic! Leaving it on for 15 – 20mins is ample – this is a very potent mask so leaving it any longer may actually perpetuate the problem and irritate the skin further.
Wash your face well with lukewarm water, removing any traces of the face mask.
– For an instant zit zapper, make a concentrated version of the face mask by adding more cinnamon. Dab this directly on to the pesky pimple and leave it as an overnight spot treatment.
– Elevate your face mask to the next level by adding more oats, to create a natural exfoliator to slough away dead skin cells
Organic Rosehip Oil
I’ve been a loyal fan of Rosehip Oil for a couple of months now, and I can honestly say that I well never go without again, this stuff rocks! Over time my skin has become visibly more radiant and glowing, a true testament of diligent use of this product – day and night, I never go amiss.
Calming, soothing, helps to reboot and re-energize dull looking skin. Powerful antioxidant equipped to fight against ageing effects of pollutants and free radicals. Its moisturising, hydrating, nourishing and radiance boosting properties are pretty much unrivalled!
– When applying the oil to the face, take the opportunity to give yourself a quick massage, focusing on any congested areas with small circular motions. This will help to increase blood circulation and penetration of the oil into the skin, leaving it touchably smooth, soft and supple.
– Mix a couple of droplets of the oil with your daily moisturiser for an ultra-nourishing boost!
Feed your skin from the inside out! Whether you suffer from problematic skin or not, Zinc is an essential mineral that has diverse physiological functions and plays a critical role in maintaining a healthy body. Oral Zinc supplementation has been reported not only to improve acne but also to help maintain healthy hair and nails – music to our ears ladies!
I typically start my day off by taking two 25mg tablets (50mg in total) as part of my daily vitamin intake to help prevent breakouts and to help speed the healing of existing pimples.
Alleviates irritation and swelling, boosts immunity, has anti- inflammatory properties and helps regulate the body’s hormonal imbalance.
– Do not take this on an empty stomach! Zinc poisoning is very common with side effects including severe nausea, sickness and excruciating stomach cramps. Always remember to take the supplement alongside a meal (breakfast is my personal preference).
I hope the above was somewhat helpful! If you have any questions or would like me to elaborate on any of the above, please feel free to comment bellow with your questions – they’re always welcome!